The second short, beautiful and heartbreaking book about human connection I‘ve read this week, and to also make me 😭!
(The other was The Traveling Cat Chronicles)
This simple story of love, loneliness and companionship in later years is so touching, so real.....I just loved Louis and Addie so much, and the interference from Addie‘s son was maddening! This book will really stay with me.
#nightstandtbr My hubby is moaning that my bedside pile of books is getting out of hand (he‘s a total neat freak!)....
I had to explain that a) this is NOT a big pile, and b) that choices are important and c) Books are not mess! 😇
How is your #nightstandtbr looking?
This was a real tear-jerker... Such a lovely story about human connection, friendship and kindness..... Satoru and his cat take a road trip, visiting old friends and looking for a new home. Nana the cat‘s musings on life are at times hilarious and other times profound. The writing is simple yet beautiful, to the point, and cuts to the heart... a tale of love, companionship, loneliness..... And that ending! #infinitetissueread 😢
Total brain candy 🧠🍭, but following Stassi‘s advice, I‘m embracing things that make me happy, without shame, whatever anyone else thinks! 😍
I have to say, there‘s just something about Stassi that I love! I did this one on audio, smiled and chuckled my way through it, and surprisingly found some pretty empowering advice and ”be your best self” pep-talks along the way. Just so much fun..... 💕
Endlessly quotable and sharply written, I couldn‘t get enough of this complicated relationship between twins Cassandra and Judith.
I love a story set in a short period of time, and here it‘s just a couple of days with the eccentric Edwards family, as Cassandra travels back to the family home to attend(or maybe try and stop) Judith‘s imminent wedding. Whip smart, perceptive, witty and dark, I just loved it!💕
#nyrbbookclub @BarbaraBB @vivastory
Today is a tough one for some.... so just sending love and hugs 💕💕💕
I always have to work on Mother‘s day, and today I‘m sharing the day with co-workers and friends with many different stories.
Best girl‘s night out ever! Happy hour with a friend, followed by this! Just so inspiring..... She‘s so warm, driven, compassionate, smart and funny too. And hopeful..... just so positive about the future. I left with a spring in my step, and a fire in my belly..... 💕
This little girl is saying everything I want to say about this book 😍💕.... just hug it and smile!
Sooooooo excited to get to hear her speak tonight....
This book is a love letter to a city and it‘s people.... Haya Molocho and her four sons run the NENI restaurants dotted all over Europe, but here they return to their home city. It‘s a celebration of heartfelt stories, passionate people, beautiful photographs and mouthwatering recipes, focusing on the vibrant food culture of Tel Aviv. Both moving and inspiring, I can‘t wait to try some of the recipes, and just maybe visit one day .... 💕
Had my morning swim, now getting started on this #NYRBbookclub ..... 🏊♀️💦😎📚💕... a perfect way to start my day off....
I‘m loving the writing so far....
Picked up this #ARC at work today... It has such a beautiful cover! 😍..... I‘m thinking I may read this for #booked2019 for the #indigenousauthor prompt....
Aborigine authors Amelia and Ezekiel are a brother and sister from Australia, who wrote this story together....
I understand why so many readers hate this book, but I really liked it. I loved the gorgeous, sensual descriptions of food & wine. I found it so nostalgic (I worked in a restaurant/wine bar in London for all of my 20s) & I think Danler perfectly captures the experience of the formed ‘family‘, the excesses and lack of self-awareness of youth, the loneliness of big cities, and the obsessions and self-discoveries and mistakes we make as we grow up.
#audiowalking today, listening to Michelle to prep for seeing her speak on Friday.... So excited!
Also, thrilled to see my first burrowing owls this year, on the parkland in our neighborhood.... they are just the cutest 💕🦉
My favorite #booktomovie adaptations..... 💕🎥
I really enjoyed this one. It had a very Kate Morton vibe. It‘s a sad story of two evacuee sisters during the Blitz of World War II, who make small choices with devastating consequences.
“There are no secrets to a charmed life. There is just the simple truth that you must forgive yourself for only being able to make your own choices, and no one else‘s.”
A SUPER slow reading month for me!
Half the month with house guests, a busy trip home to UK, a full time job, and lots of anxiety over my husband‘s health has made reading super tough...
But when I have been able to grab a few minutes here and there, I‘ve really enjoyed what I read....
The Sally Rooney was a standout, but I also discovered Kate Morton, who I‘d not read before, and sure will read more of.... 💕📚
An ambitious #TBR for both May and June, including a couple of rereads for bookclubs, some recent purchases and some challenge reads...
Currently reading Sweetbitter, and I‘m seeing Michelle Obama next week so I‘m going to read that next... So excited!
#womensprize shortlist ..... I‘m really sad not to see Sally Rooney on the shortlist 😕 I loved Normal People! But it‘s an interesting list as always...
Only read American Marriage so far, but will be trying to catch up on the rest.... 📚👍
This book is beautiful, inspiring and full of homey, simple Mediterranean recipes that i can‘t wait to try!
Highly recommended to anyone who loves this kind of food, this book is a winner! Best cookbook I‘ve picked up in ages😋💕
5⭐️...A beautifully written, quiet character study of two young people, uncomfortable in their own skin, yet somehow finding each other. Sally Rooney‘s writing is so perceptive and subtle, and Marianne and Connell really got to me. I can‘t stop thinking about them. I‘ve really loved both her books so far. Can‘t wait to see what she does next..... 💕
@Cinfhen @4thhouseontheleft @BarbaraTheBibliophage
#gratitude21 Day 21!
1. Thank you to @Eggs for this challenge. I‘ve loved this exercise, taking time to appreciate life‘s joys each day!
2. For a wkend of perfect family time- my mum is safe and well cared for, and remembered me which was so wonderful, had a fabulous Sunday with my Dad and my brother‘s clan, & a London day with my BFF!
3. To be flying home to hubby & pup. Missed them terribly, particularly when I know he‘s struggling to breathe.
Heading back to US.... I‘ve bought way too many books, that wouldn‘t fit in my checked bag, so I‘m carrying them in my hand luggage....So what do I do? Pick up 2 more at the WHSmiths bookshop at Gatwick! My hand luggage weighs a ton! 😂
#BOTM BFF status...pretty chuffed about it! 😊👍💕
Day 20- what (my belly) is grateful for on my trip home to the UK! 🇬🇧😋 I‘ve been totally spoilt with cravings from home!
1. Delicious local caught seafood- grilled 1/2 lobsters, and traditional pub style langoustine tails (scampi) with chunky chips and homemade tartare sauce
2. Comforting British breakfasts-bacon sangas in bread from the village bakery, and hot toasted crumpets with Marmite
3. Sussex farmhouse cheeses 😍🧀
#bookhaul #2 from today from Daunts
3 from my #TBR for #pop19
I love this 🐧 edition of the tagged book with the Lourdes Sanchez cover design. So pretty.
I‘ve been wanting to read this McEwan for ages (and this Vintage edition has a blurb from John Boyne on the cover!) They had every one of McEwan‘s novels in these editions, which are really lovely.
And I‘m so looking forward to ‘The Summer Book‘ as I 💙 Jansson‘s Moomin books as a kid.
Day 19..... what I‘m grateful for today....
1. British public transport.... a day of easy travel, so many trains, buses and tubes without any hitch...
2. For a steaming bowl of curried cauliflower and parsnip soup with homemade sour dough bread at the coziest pub you can imagine, to warm our cold bones...🥶🥣
3. To get to spend the perfect day with my best friend of 25+ years, who I couldn‘t adore more....💕
We ended our lovely (if very cold and drizzly) London day, with a wander round the magical Highgate Cemetery..... the higgledy-piggledy graves, rampant wildflowers and crumbling statutes in the woodland-like setting, is just so beautiful.
(And makes for the perfect setting for this creepy book 💕👻🐱🐱)
After kicking the day off at Daunts in Marylebone, we headed off to Notting Hill for a foodie/bookish morning with cups of tea and beautiful food at Ottolenghi‘s patisserie/cafe, followed by a browse at one of my favorite bookstores ‘Books for Cooks‘ 💕😋
I had a little time to kill before I met up with my friend.... so I braved the walk, in this miserable weather, to my favorite bookshop... Daunts in Marylebone..... this place is just heavenly 💕
A little train reading on my way to London today.... I am loving this so far.... Marianne is breaking my heart! 💔
1. Dynasty & The Colbys! 🤦♀️
2. Visit the Greek Islands with my hubby (both been separately but never together) @Melissa_J
3. My many Bookclub schedules vs. mood vs buzz I can‘t resist! @emtobiasz
4. Read Kate Morton recently for the first time, and really enjoyed it. @youneverarrived
5. Prettiest book cover of the year so far? 😍I love the US paperback of Tin Man by Sarah Winman 🌊
A friend just sent me this screen shot of recommended food writing.....
Very serendipitous, as tomorrow I‘m heading to one of my most favorite book shops... https://www.booksforcooks.com/find_us.html
Day 18...what I‘m grateful for today....
1. A day that forecast rain, but ended up being sunny and breezy and beautiful.💕☀️
2. A perfect walk along Shoreham-By-Sea beach with my old Dad....💕🌊
3. A proper British bacon sanga for breakfast in a beach cafe, a wander round a lovely bookshop for an hour and a little #bookhaul too 💕📚
I have no room in my suitcase at all.... but still had to do a little #bookhaul from Waterstones....
I‘m besotted with the Virago Modern Classics, so grabbed the tagged book, I‘d had recommended to me recently.
The Macmillan collectors edition of ‘The Go-Between‘ is for a reading challenge...
And I picked up ‘The Guest Cat‘ from a display table of novellas (described as “careful, elegant and lovely, subtly profound”..... Sold!)
Just had a lovely wander round the amazing five floored Waterstones in Brighton.... I saw this table in the kids department and thought of you @arlenefinnigan 💕
Day 17 .... (airport themed) what I‘m grateful for today... ✈️🇬🇧
1. That there were no lines at check-in or security!
2. That I have an aisle seat booked! Yay for leg stretching.....and getting up a lot to ease my creaky back... 👵🏻
3. That I‘m a reader! 🙏.... I received an email this morning, that due to grounded planes, our rented plane has no entertainment system! there are gonna be some really upset flyers! 🤦♀️
Miami airport is truly the worst..... no decent places to eat or settle.... but at least I have a new book to start (and a plastic cup of Sauvignon Blanc!😉)
Thanks again Cindy! 😘 @Cinfhen
(And my book magnet is the University I went to!)
Day16 ...what I‘m grateful for today
1. Having so much fun sharing GOT theories with hubby, friends and co-workers📺
2. My hubby is very sick right now, and (bad timing) I‘m about to fly home to see my sick mum. Having friends who offer (without asking) to check in on my husband and make sure he‘s OK. I‘m VERY grateful for that. 💕
3. The amazing head nurse at his CF clinic at the Joe DiMaggio hospital. She is a super hero 🙏