#fyaphotoaday Day 12: Frustration, thy name is... THE NIGHT WE SAID YES. My book club read this last year and we were promised a wild and crazy night where you have to say yes to ANYTHING. Do you want to know what "anything" was? Skinny dipping with your underwear on, sneaking onto the roof of the school, waiting outside while your friends buy the alcohol, doing karaoke. OMFG. (continued below)
Apologies for the hiatus! Will be catching up on #fyaphotoaday over the next few days. Let‘s pick up where we left off with Day 11: Riot Grrls. Happy #dayofthegirl to these real and fictional ladies (including their authors!) who take a stand for other women. These are just a few of our faves—tell us all about yours! #feminist #riotgrrl #amreading #yalit #yabooks #deadfeminists #atyrannyofpetticoats #underapaintedsky #moxie #dumplin #wonderwomen
#fyaphotoaday Day 10: It's In The Bag. My Kindle goes everywhere with me. Imagine the horror of being stuck in a line, a waiting room, or on public transit without a book to read. 😥 - Rosemary #amreading #bibliophile #yalit #yaliterature #yabooks #gemina #illuminae #amiekaufman #jaykristoff #nationalhandbagday
#fyaphotoaday Day 7: Mix Tape. I'm addicted to making Spotify playlists for literally any occasion. I made this playlist, The Dreamer/The Dream, when I was deep in my feels over THE RAVEN KING, and I love it so much, it's sort of become my unofficial reading soundtrack. - Rosemary #yalit #yaliterature #mixtape #readingsoundtrack #maggiestiefvater #theravenking #theravencycle
#fyaphotoaday Day 4: Let's Get Familiar. Because of his namesake, you'd think he'd be into demons and ghosts, but Winchester is NOT about scary sounds in the dark. Sleep is his natural state, and sometimes, when he's really into a dream, he'll be sleep-barking and -running it up. I'd like to think he'd enjoy the adventure of THE HUNGER GAMES while simultaneously enjoying the fact that he's really just as lazy as a Capitol citizen. -Stephanie
#fyaphotoaday Day 3: Currently reading.
- Mandy W.: WONDER by R.J. Palacio
- Rosemary: WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE by Lana Popović
- Stephanie: THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis (Hey, October #FYABC pick!)
- Jennie: ALL THE CROOKED SAINTS by Maggie Stiefvater
- Mandy C.: THE LANGUAGE OF THORNS by Leigh Bardugo
- Britt: A CONJURING OF LIGHT by V.E. Schwab
#fyaphotoaday Day 2: Character Cars. Although Toothless isn't a YA character, he's close! And a great namesake for our Mini Cooper, which has red interior accents and the ability to light up blue when feeling particularly fiesty. (Or if I flip the switch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) -mc
#yaliterature #yalit #bibliophile
#fyaphotoaday Day 1: Coffee and TBR. (Also my official #fyaocttbr.) This month I've got ALL THE CROOKED SAINTS by Maggie Stiefvater, BEFORE THE DEVIL BREAKS YOU by Libba Bray, and THAT INEVITABLE VICTORIAN THING by E.K. Johnston. I can already tell you that BEFORE THE DEVIL BREAKS YOU will give you TEABS and leave you clamoring for the final Diviners book.
Who's playing along? #fyaphotoaday
Find more deets on the prompts here: http://foreveryoungadult.com/2017/09/28/fya-photo-a-day-will-haunt-your-october/
1. The description for SIX OF CROWS makes it seem like Kaz Brekker is the main character, but the book is divided up into multiple POVs. Would you rather the book have been told from only Kaz's POV? Or did you like the multiple viewpoints? #septemberfyabc #fyabookclub
Happy August! We'll be wrapping up the questions for the July book over the next few days.
7. Amanda's history unfolds primarily through flashbacks. Which one(s) stood out to you the most? #fyabookclub #julyfyabc
6. Meredith Russo makes it very clear that Amanda's story (or any trans person's story) should not be regarded as the definitive trans experience. Do you think she succeeded? Does the book avoid veering into after-school special territory? #fyabookclub #julyfyabc
4. Amanda's friendships with Anna, Chloe, and Layla happen almost immediately, whereas she has a longer history with Virginia. Did this feel authentic to you? Were you happy with the way their friendships were portrayed? #fyabookclub #julyfyabc
1. In many ways, Amanda is a typical teen: she's in several fandoms, she's afraid people will hate her if they know the real her, she has a crush on another person at school, she worries how she'll fit in with her friends, and she's struggling to relate to her parents and survive in a place that she doesn't necessarily love. Did you feel like Meredith Russo depicted the universal aspects of Amanda's life as well as the not-so-universal ones?
Let's break some ice!
Amanda becomes fast friends with Layla, Chloe, and Anna. Did you ever (or
do you still) belong to one of those friend groups that often shows up in
pop culture? What was your role? #fyabookclub #julyfyabc
Meredith Russo will open your mind and your heart with her powerful debut, IF I WAS YOUR GIRL. Check out our review for this month's book club pick at http://foreveryoungadult.com/2016/05/17/if-i-was-your-girl/, and stay tuned for discussion questions right here on Litsy! #fyabookclub #julyfyabc
Braden's church community is tightly knit in an already small town. Did you get the impression that anyone realized Mart was abusive, or was his public image enough to protect him?
CONVICTION explores some highly divisive topics and themes very much at play in our current world, including racism, religion, immigration and sexual orientation. Did you feel that the story offered a thoughtful portrait of these issues? And which themes in particular did you find the most or least compelling?
New month—new book!
Let's kick things off with an icebreaker:
Braden has a promising career in baseball and works hard to achieve his potential. Did you play sports as a teen or have any extracurriculars with the possibility of "going pro"? Did you feel any of the pressures that Braden experienced?
Last question for March's book!
The reason why Waverly can appear in Marshall's vicinity is never explained. Did that bother you, or did the story allow you to embrace it it with no explanation?